We had a great time on our friend’s boat in Göcek last week. From left to right, that’s me, Pinky, Gülbin, Faruk, Atilla and Mirsad. Thank’s for having us.
I’ve been sleeping naked for as long as I can remember, but was not aware of all the benefits. Many people keep their homes too warm to begin with, and wearing pajamas to bed will make you even warmer, which can lead to restless sleep and frequent waking.
Ideally, one should keep the temperature in the bedroom below 70 degrees F (21 degrees C). Studies show that the optimal room temperature for sleep is between 60 to 68 degrees F (15 – 20 degrees C).
One study showed that a surface skin temperature difference of as little as 0.08 degrees F (0.4 degrees C) allowed subjects to sleep more soundly. But the benefits don’t end there.
Other health benefits of sleeping naked include:
- Improved metabolism. Lowering your body temperature helps activate brown fat – a type of body fat that helps regulate your body temperature by generating heat. People with higher levels of brown fat have faster resting metabolic rates, better blood sugar control and higher insulin sensitivity.
- Improved blood circulation. Without clothing your blood flow is less restricted, which benefits your entire body, especially your heart and muscles.
- Healthier skin and private parts. Bacteria thrive in warm, moist areas, so ditching clothing, including underwear, can be particularly beneficial for women prone to yeast infections. Other areas, including your armpits (and skin in general) also benefit from being able to breathe.
- Improved sperm quality. A man’s testicles are designed to keep sperm at a temperature slightly below core body temperature. Underwear that bunch the testicles close to the body may therefore reduce sperm quality and affect a man’s fertility.
- Improved sex life. Skin-to-skin contact (as well as an orgasm) releases the “bonding” hormone oxytocin, which promotes feelings of attachment and emotional closeness. Since sexual contact typically occurs while naked, sleeping in the nude raises the chances of sex, which can bring a couple closer.
- Balancing hormones. By allowing your body to stay cooler at night, sleeping naked helps decrease cortisol, increasing human growth hormone and balance melatonin, all of which help promote healthy sleep patterns and reduce anxiety, stress and food cravings.
- Improving your sleep helps improve brain health. More quality sleep is very important for brain detoxification (which occurs during sleep) and cognitive health.
Some of you might remember the old Alka-Seltzer add that went “try it you’ll like it”, well it definitely applies to sleeping naked.
That’s it for now; see you all next time.