We had an unbelievably enjoyable class reunion luncheon yesterday, thanks to our classmates Rıfat Hasan (our host) and Faruk Dölay (our organizer).
The thing that bothered and saddened us terribly was the condition one of our classmates suffering from COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) was in.
Please re-read my post dated 22 February 2017 on this terrible condition.
The take home message was that smoking destroys the body’s vitamin A stores and this could very well be what causes COPD.
In light of this, I decided to share with you a recipe that is full of vitamin A, and other nutrients. Sweet potatoes are at the top of the list of vitamin A providing nutrients.
Let’s list the benefits of sweet potatoes
- Excellent source of Vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene
- Contains potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, B2, and phosphorus
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Contains twice as much fiber as other potatoes
- Good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid
- Abundant in antioxidants
- Helpful in controlling blood sugar levels
- Lower carbohydrate content than regular potatoes
Now our recipe
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chili powder (or more if you like spicier)
- ½ tsp. Himalayan pink sea salt
- ½ tsp. cumin
- Customize – add your favorite spices
- Raw honey
- Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- Cut sweet potatoes into ¼ inch slices.
- Mix oil and spices together in a medium size bowl.
- Toss in the sweet potato slices and stir until evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Put the potatoes in the oven and roast for 10 minutes.
- Turn potato slices over.
- Roast another 10 minutes or until desired crispness is achieved.
To increase the flavor even more, serve these sweet potato chips with a healthy dip:
- Greek yogurt with sriracha
- Homemade salsa
- Whipped avocado with spices
I’m sure you’re going to love this nutritious snack.
Getting back to the COPD problem; there is no guarantee of any medicine or health supplement providing a sure-fire treatment. However, as I always say, try it, what have you got to loose?
That’s it for this week; see you all next time.