Even though I still endorse HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), I’ve come across an even easier way to reap most, if not all, of the same benefits of a more elaborate HIIT protocol with just 4 simple movements – no weights or equipment required.
It only requires 3 minutes of your time, twice or three times a day, with at least 2 hours between sessions.
If you’d like to recall what HIIT was all about, please re-read the “HIIT” post of February 26, 2015.
I strongly recommend that you re-read the “Breathing” post of June 3, 2015, as the importance of breathing through your nose is very important in the routine I’m about to share with you.
This is the nitric oxide (NO) dump exercise developed by Dr. Zach Bush. NO is an extremely important part of biochemical regulation, and understanding and controlling its formation has the potential for profound influences on your health.
Most notably, NO:
- Protects your heart by relaxing your blood vessels and lowering your blood pressure
- Stimulates your brain
- Boosts your immunity (kills bacteria and defends against tumor cells)
- It is an anabolic stimulant (increases body muscle mass)
- Helps maintain homeostasis in your body
Before you watch the video, I’ll briefly go over the 4 exercises that you do:
Keep your back straight and go down as deep as possible.
- FRONT RAISE
NO WEIGHTS, and alternate between left and right arm. The arm you raise should go all the way up. NOT HALFWAY as in the picture.
- JUMPING JACKS
Just move your arms up and down, NO NEED TO JUMP.
- SHOULDER PRESS
NO WEIGHTS needed, just move your hands up and down.
- Start with 10 reps and gradually increase to 20 reps. When you reach 20 reps, you should complete 4 exercises x s sets = 12 exercises in 3 minutes. SPEED. Watch the video.
- Don’t rest between exercises; when you do the required number of reps in squats, move right into front raises, and then jumping jacks and then shoulder presses. This is one set, without resting do 2 more sets. In other words, you do 3 sets, of 4 exercises,that is 12 exercises without resting.
- Repeat the routine 2-3 times a day, WITH AT LEAST 2 HOURS BETWEEN SESSIONS
- BREATH THROUGH YOUR NOSE THROUGHOUT THE SESSION
Now the video:
[videos file=”https://youtu.be/leeryOnhg7M” width=”600″ height=”400″][/videos]
Note: Remember to alternate your arms in exercise 2; don’t do it as it is done in the video.
Compared to regular HIIT protocols, the NO dump exercise is a far gentler strategy that can be done by just about anyone, regardless of your current level of fitness or age.
I’m sure that many of you will benefit tremendously if you decide to undertake this routine.
That’s it; see you all next time.