I’ve previously written about the fact that our genetic programing, going back 40,000 years, does not give the human animal the capacity to consume and digest grains (wheat, barley, rye, etc.) without consequences.
Many people will reject the idea that they weren’t meant to eat grains and will insist that they have been doing this since birth and are still quite healthy and DEFINITELY NOT SICK.
Again, I go back to the alcohol example; some people have a greater tolerance to alcohol and consume quite a lot before feeling that “buzz” and some will get inebriated after one beer and stop. Which person is better off? Is alcohol good for us? Is it healthy to consume, and for the more tolerant over-consume alcohol? I doubt that anybody will defend drinking like they defend eating grains.
Just as some people can consume a lot of alcohol, for many years without experiencing the negative side effects, some people can consume grains without feeling the negative side effects.
Of course, just because YOU DON’T FEEL ANY SIDE EFFECTS NOW does not mean that your body has not been “DAMAGED” by this and what could be awaiting you, health wise, in your latter years.
More than 55 diseases have been linked to gluten, the protein found in grains, and it is estimated that 99 % of the people who have either gluten intolerance or celiac disease ARE NEVER DIAGNOSED.
Celiac disease is something that I wouldn’t wish on my worse enemies. It is caused by a reaction to substances in GLUTEN and results in the inability of your small intestine to absorb nutrients and a very unhealthy and miserable life. Put simply, the cure is to stop consuming gluten, i.e., GRAINS.
It is also estimated that as much as 15 % of the US population is gluten intolerant. If you are one of them, then you are lucky because your body is giving you a warning to stop consuming grains.
As you will see below, some of the symptoms of gluten intolerance are very amenable to being explained away or blamed on something else, “it was probably caused by….”, and thus rationalized. The consumption of grains continues.
If you have any of the following symptoms it could be a sign that you are gluten intolerant:
- Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation. Constipation seems to be seen particularly in children after eating gluten.
- Keratosis Pilaris, also known as “chicken skin” on the back of your arms, PICTURED ABOVE. I see it in some women that I know.
- Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.
- Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.
- Neurological symptoms such as dizziness or feeling off balance.
- Hormonal imbalances such as PMS (premenstrual syndrome), PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) or unexplained infertility.
- MIGRAINE HEADACHES.
- Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or FIBROMYAGLIA. These diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor’s inability to pinpoint the cause of your fatigue or pain.
- Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.
- Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD (attention deficit disorder).
HOW DOES ONE TEST FOR GLUTEN INTOLERANCE?
The best way is to eliminate all gluten from your diet for at least two to three weeks and then reintroduce it. Gluten is a very large protein and it can take months or even years to clear it from your system. The longer you eliminate it from your diet before reintroducing it the better.
If you feel significantly better off gluten or feel worse when you reintroduce it, then you definitely have a problem with gluten.
HOW TO TREAT GLUTEN INTOLERANCE?
Eliminate gluten 100 % from your diet. No “free meals” or “free days”. An article published in 2001 states that for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity eating gluten just once a month increased the relative risk of death by 600 %.
WE, HOMO SAPIENS, ARE JUST NOT PROGRAMED TO CONSUME GRAINS.
THE COICE IS YOURS.